Ocr History A Level Coursework Deadlines For Fafsa - Essay for you

Essay for you

Ocr History A Level Coursework Deadlines For Fafsa

Rating: 4.8/5.0 (51 Votes)

Category: Coursework


Cinema and Media Studies (MA)

Cinema and Media Studies (MA)

The Cinema and Media Studies Program in the Department of Film, Television and Digital Media offers two tracks for completion of the M.A. degree, an Integrated Degree Track (CMS-ID) intended for students who wish to continue their education at the doctoral level and a Research Professions Track (CMS-RP) intended for students who seek careers in the entertainment industry, archives, film festivals and related fields.

Prospective students should indicate their preferred track, study rationale and career goals as part of the Personal Statement at the time of application. The tracks are described below:

Integrated Degree Track (CMS-ID): The CMS-ID track is intended for those planning to continue into a doctoral program and who wish to build careers in University teaching and research.

The CMS-ID track emphasizes core area coursework in film and media history, theory and analysis as a preparation and foundation for doctoral study (at UCLA or another institution). This academically rigorous program is designed to move students into doctoral work after one year; however students can extend their studies for up to seven quarters.

Successful completion of at least nine courses is necessary to fulfill requirements of the CMS-ID M.A. degree. Four core courses are required, including a Capstone Seminar, which will produce a substantial research paper as the culminating project for the degree. The remaining five elective courses are elective seminars. Of the five electives, one must be in the area of Media History, one in Cinema and Media Theory, and two must be from outside the Cinema and Media Studies area, but within the Department of Film, Television and Digital Media. These courses allow students to firsthand experience in the practical areas of Film Production, Screenwriting, Producing and Animation.

Select, highly qualified applicants to the CMS-ID track may be directly admitted to a combined M.A./Ph.D. degree at their time of application to the CMS-ID M.A. program. Students admitted to the combined M.A./Ph.D. degree will be funded for five years of study and are guaranteed admission into the doctoral program at UCLA, pending satisfactory completion of the M.A.

Students admitted to the CMS-ID track, but who do not qualify for the combined M.A./Ph.D. degree at the time of initial application, are invited to apply for admission to Ph.D. program after completing at least one quarter of M.A. study. Students must adhere to posted Ph.D. application deadlines for internal Ph.D. candidates and must satisfactorily complete requirements of the M.A. degree prior to commencing doctoral study.

Research Professions Track (CMS-RP): The CMS-RP track offers an M.A. degree for those seeking expertise in critical analysis and research in formal preparation for a range of emerging careers in public and professional fields. The CMS-RP track directly responds to the new interdisciplinary and intermedial nature of contemporary film, television and digital media and provides support for those interested in careers in film festivals/media programming, film/media criticism, media archives and media industries research.

Students in this track are encouraged to enroll in Proseminars, which are courses specifically tailored to building the skills necessary for work in the field and are highly encouraged to take advantage of our professional internship opportunities which capitalize on UCLA’s unique geographical position within the film and media industries in Southern California.

Successful completion of at least nine courses is necessary to fulfill requirements of the CMS-RP M.A. degree. Four core courses are required, including a Capstone Seminar which will produce a report on the experience in a Professional Internship or a research paper as the culminating project for the degree. The remaining five elective courses are elective seminars. Of the five electives, one must be in the area of Media History, one in Cinema and Media Theory, and two must be from outside the Cinema and Media Studies area, but within the Department of Film, Television and Digital Media. These courses allow students to firsthand experience in the practical areas of Film Production, Screenwriting, Producing and Animation.

The CMS-RP track is aimed primarily at students who do not currently intend to go on for the Ph.D. However, students in the CMS-RP program are not prohibited from applying to the Ph.D. While possible to complete the CMS-RP track as a one year degree, students can extend their studies for up to seven quarters.

I. Area: M.A. Cinema and Media Studies (See sections I to V for all requirements)

II. Summary: The M.A. in Cinema and Media Studies has the following time-to-degree requirement: a minimum of four quarters; maximum of seven quarters. The minimum total units required to graduate is 36 units (nine courses). Five courses must be 200 level courses in film and/or television history, theory, and criticism. Of the Five Courses, four specific courses, FTV 200, 206C, 208B and 217A are required. All five of the graduate-level courses must be completed with a grade of B or better.

Only eight units of FTV 596A, B, C and 598 may be applied towards the total course requirement, and none of these may be applied towards the minimum graduate course requirement.

A. Required Courses:

A minimum of nine courses is required for the M.A. degree, five of which must be 200 level courses in film and/or television history, theory and criticism. Of the five courses, four are required M.A. Core Courses and should be taken in the first year of residence:


Elective Courses: Three courses should be taken outside the M.A. program. At least two of these must be from other programs in the Department of Film, Television and Digital Media, in consultation with the M.A. advisor that is assigned to you. All students admitted to the M.A. program must demonstrate basic competence in the areas of scriptwriting, television production or film production. Normally, competence is demonstrated through coursework, which may be used to fulfill the non-Cinema & Media Studies course requirements. However, students may also petition to use prior work to demonstrate their basic competence. Prior work may not be used to fulfill M.A. course requirements.

Seminars vary from year to year, but are selected from the following list of courses:

  • 298AB SPECIAL STUDIES (select classes must see Graduate Counselor)
** - Core classes for M.A. students only

IV. Comprehensive Exam In order to earn an M.A. from the UCLA Department of Film, Television and Digital Media, students must satisfactorily complete a Comprehensive Examination. The M.A. Comprehensive Exam is a take-home exam that is given in the spring quarter only, generally in the sixth week. Candidates will have several days to complete the exam, which will be evaluated by the Cinema & Media Studies faculty.

All MA programs in Film, Television, & Digital Media are full-time programs. The Department admits new students only once each year for the Fall Quarter.

We Do Not Accept Films, DVDs or CDs

Applicants must submit all required application materials to be considered for admission.

Online and Mailed Application Deadline: December 1, 2016

By the time of entrance, MA Applicants Must:
  • Have at least a 3.0 GPA.
  • Satisfy the University of California’s Graduate Admission Requirements .
  • Complete equivalent to a 4 year US Bachelor’s Degree.

Please complete all of the following steps:

Step 1: Online
  • Complete the UCLA Graduate Division Online Application .
    • MUST be paid and completed Online by December 1, 2016 .
    • Indicate MA, Film and Television, Cinema & Media Studies as the program.
  • Upload Unofficial copies of all Transcripts.
  • Submit Three Letters of Recommendation
    • Enter the Names and Emails of all recommenders into the UCLA Graduate Division Online Application.
Step 2: Online & Mail
  • Complete the Online Graduate FTVDM Departmental Application .
    • a. * Indicate Integrated Degree Track (CMS-ID) OR Research Professions Track (CMS-RP)
    • Print and Mail the generated PDF.
  • Upload and Mail the Statement of Purpose.
    • Submit a 1-2 page document.
  • Upload and Mail a Resume/CV.
  • Upload and Mail a sample of Scholarly Writing.
Step 3: Mail
  • Mail an Official copy of all Transcripts from each Undergraduate and Graduate institutions attended.
    • Note: Community College transcripts are not necessary.
    • Please have transcripts sent to the address below or include them in sealed envelopes with the supplemental application packet.
  • Request that all test scores be sent directly to UCLA.
    • Only test scores taken by December 31, 2016 will be accepted.
    • The GRE UCLA Code is 4837 and the Department Code is 2409.
    • Note: The GRE is Required for MA Applicants.

Please Send all applicable materials to:

Graduate Film Admissions
UCLA Department of Film, Television, and Digital Media
103 East Melnitz Hall, Box 951622
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1622

Online and Mailed Application Deadline: December 1, 2016


For more information on requirements and applying to UCLA as an International Student, visit https://grad.ucla.edu/admissions/international-applicants/ .

English Proficiency: Any international applicant whose first language is not English must certify proficiency in English when applying to UCLA, and, if admitted, upon arrival. Such applicants must submit scores received on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) as part of their application. The UCLA Code is 4837 and the Department Code is 2409. Only test scores taken by December 31, 2016 will be accepted. For more information about this requirement, visit https://grad.ucla.edu/admissions/english-requirements/. International applicants who have received a Bachelor’s degree from an American institution are not required to take the TOEFL.

Academic Records: Although the UCLA Graduate Division Application enables applicants to upload an unofficial copy of their academic records, all applicants are required to submit official records from each academic institution attended. For more information about this requirement, visit https://grad.ucla.edu/admissions/required-academic-records/.

Undergrad Degree Requirement: Applicants must complete equivalent to a four-year U.S. Bachelor’s Degree. International students who hold three-year ordinary pass degrees, or who hold professional diplomas in accounting, business, librarianship, social work, physical education, health education and so on, or four-year degrees, diplomas or higher certificates from technical, vocational or post-secondary specialized schools are NOT eligible for graduate admission. For Academic Requirements by Country or Educational System, visit: https://grad.ucla.edu/admissions/required-academic-records/.

Proof of Funding for Visa: U.S. immigration law requires that international applicants, if admitted, show documented evidence that sufficient funds to cover all tuition, fees, transportation, and living expenses are available for the first year of their studies at UCLA. This must be proven before a Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or DS2019) for a visa can be issued. For more information about this requirement, visit https://grad.ucla.edu/admissions/visa-procedures/ .

For U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents interested in receiving financial aid in the 2017-2018 year, note that the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) deadline for UCLA is March 2, 2017. Applicants must complete the FAFSA by this date if they want to be eligible for all awards, work-study, and scholarships that UCLA offers. If applying after March 2, please check with the Financial Aid Office for available funding opportunities. www.financialaid.ucla.edu

For non-US Citizens or non-Permanent Residents who are approved to pay in-state tuition because they graduated from a high school in California; they will need to complete the California DREAM application by the March 2, 2017 deadline. The DREAM application can be accessed at https://dream.csac.ca.gov. If applying after March 2, please check with the Financial Aid Office for available funding opportunities. www.financialaid.ucla.edu

Please visit the FAQ page for additional information, call 310-206-8441, or email filmgrad@tft.ucla.edu.

** Please do not contact the department to check on your application, as we cannot update you on your application status or materials.

For Prospective Students:

Other articles

Deadlines - Valencia College

A FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) must be completed for each academic year and one FAFSA serves throughout that entire academic year (Fall through Summer). The FAFSA becomes available each January for the following academic year, and you should apply as early as possible because many financial aid programs have limited funding that will go only to early applicants.

Financial Aid Priority Deadline

To have your financial aid processed in time for your registration fees to be paid by financial aid, you must complete all steps in the application process by the Financial Aid Priority Deadline:

July 22, 2016 for Fall Term 2016
November 18, 2016 for Spring Term 2017
March 24, 2017 for Summer Term 2017

Late Applicants

If you miss the Financial Aid Priority Deadline for the term in which you wish to enroll, you still are strongly encouraged to apply for financial aid. Your application will be accepted and processed; however, it may not be processed in time for you to use your financial aid to pay for your fees and books. If this is the case, you will need to pay your fees and purchase your books; then, if you qualify for financial aid, a refund will be issued to you later in the term through your Valencia Debit Card. You can seek help with paying your fees and purchasing your books through the Tuition Installment Plan (TIP). Further information about this plan is given in the Financial Information and Fees section of this catalog and at valenciacollege.edu/businessoffice .

Valencia College provides equal opportunity for educational opportunities and employment to all. Contact the Office of Human Resources and Diversity for information.

The Gordon Rule

State Board of Education Rule 6A-10.030, the Gordon Rule, requires that students complete with grades of C or better 12 credits in designated courses in which the student is required to demonstrate college-level writing skills through multiple assignments and six credits of mathematics course work at the level of college algebra or higher. These courses must be completed successfully (grades of C or better) prior to the receipt of an A.A. degree and prior to entry into the upper division of a Florida public university.

General Education

Click read more to see Gen. Ed. courses.

Deadlines - Dates - Undergraduate Admissions - Purdue University

Deadlines and Important Dates Completing the Application

To complete an application, all required material must be received. To meet a specific deadline, all required material must be received or postmarked by that date. Once you submit an online application, you'll receive an email with information about your online applicant portal. Use the portal to identify what material is required to complete your application and to confirm that we have received it. Please note, once we receive an item, it may take up to two weeks for us to process it so that appears as received in your portal.  

Required material for freshmen typically includes:

  • the application itself
  • all official transcripts (including any college transcripts)
  • SAT or ACT test score (Test scores must be sent electronically from testing agency. We accept old or new SAT or ACT scores. We do not require a writing score.)

Although not required, a letter of recommendation is strongly recommended, especially for students who want to be considered for scholarships, the Honors College or who are applying for highly competitive majors. 

Required material for transfer students typically includes:

  • the application itself
  • final high school transcript (unless you have completed a bachelor's degree)
  • all college transcripts (all institutions you have attended)
  • SAT or ACT score —  unless you have completed at least 24 college semester credit hours (Test scores must be sent electronically from testing agency. We accept old or new SAT or ACT scores. We do not require a writing score.)   
  • application fee (or qualified fee waiver)
Scholarship Deadlines

To ensure maximum consideration for Purdue scholarships. future freshmen applying for fall should: 

  1. complete their application (application form and all required material) by November 1
  2. submit the Supplemental Scholarship Application by January 1 (available to applicants via the Financial Aid Website  November 1–January 1)
  3. file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by January 1
Decision Release and Accepting Your Offer

Most students can expect an admission decision about 12 weeks after their application and all required material have been submitted. Decisions are not guaranteed by a certain date.

Deadlines to accept your admission offer: 

Fall term – May 1 if you're admitted by April 10. If you're admitted after April 10, you must accept within three weeks of your admission decision.

Spring term – December 15 if you're admitted by December 1. If you're admitted after December 1, must accept by the start of the term.

Summer term – May 15 if you're admitted by May 1. If you're admitted after May 1, you must accept by the start of the term.

Financial Aid

March 1 is the priority deadline to file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for aid awarded for the upcoming academic year. If you meet this deadline, you will receive a financial aid award letter by early March. If you're admitted to begin in the spring or summer term, you should file a FAFSA as soon as possible after being admitted. The FAFSA is available beginning October 1 .

On-Campus Housing

May 5 is the firm deadline to contract for on-campus housing if you're admitted to begin in the fall. You'll gain access to the contract within two business days after accepting your admission offer. If space remains available after May 5. the housing contract will re-open in late May. If you're beginning in the spring or summer, visit the University Residences website for information about contracting for on-campus housing.

Financial Aid - Montclair State University

Financial Aid

The Office of Student Financial Aid is here to assist you in financing your college education. Financial aid is comprised of various forms of scholarships, grants, loans and work-study. Financial aid comes from federal, state and institutional sources. By applying for financial aid, you may reduce the costs of your college education making it an affordable reality.

If you cannot find the information you require, please Contact our office.

2017-2018 FAFSA Information FAFSA Priority Filing Deadline: February 1

The 2017-2018 FAFSA is now available and the priority deadline is fast approaching.Don't wait, file now! Where do you file?

File your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) for next fall 2017 and spring 2018 at https://fafsa.ed.gov/

  • You must have a FSA ID to complete the FAFSA. The FSA ID replaces the PIN. It gives you access to https://fafsa.ed.gov/ and lets you and your parent sign the form electronically
  • Don't delay, create a FSA ID for yourself and a parent today
  • For FSA ID help, check out this video

NJ Tuition Aid Grant

Don’t forget to go directly from the FAFSA submission page to the NJ (HESAA) grant website to complete the additional questions for the NJ Tuition Aid Grant.

Attending this spring? You can still apply for financial aid for 2016-2017. Complete the FAFSA by selecting:

Starting in 2016-2017, students will be able to log into NEST to view requirements, their financial aid awards and other important financial aid information.

Multimedia Presentations

Navegando el Sistema de Ayuda Financiera - Presentación Informativa para Familias de Habla Hispana 7 de noviembre

Program FAQs

Program FAQs

FAQs pertaining to the application instructions can be found here .

Preparation FAQs

Must I be a history major to apply for graduate studies in history?Can someone look over my transcript and tell me what courses I should take?

Most students admitted to our history graduate program have a BA or an MA in history, but we welcome applications from able students who have a historical foundation while majoring in other disciplines. We have admitted students over the years from majors such as American studies, sociology, economics, medieval studies, East Asian studies, Latin American studies, religious studies, philosophy, various sciences (mainly for history of science). The most qualified non-history majors are those who have taken history courses in their area of declared interest. We regret that we do not have the resources to individually advise prospective applicants about their curriculum. Rather, one can get a sense of the kinds of courses taken by a typical history major by visiting our undergraduate website at http://history.berkeley.edu/undergraduate/requirements/ .

Should I start on the foreign language requirements prior to entering the program?

Each field (e.g. Africa or Early Modern Europe) sets its own guidelines for how much language an applicant should already have at time of entry into the program. For most fields there are no hard and fast rules, but it is clearly advantageous for an individual to enter with as much relevant foreign language preparation as possible, so that once in the program s/he can spend less time on language acquisition and more time on history subject matter. The foreign language requirement for graduate students in history varies from one to four languages, depending on the field. Our graduate students aim to fulfill one language by the end of the second year. They must fulfill all required languages before they can take the orals and advance to PhD candidacy (by the end of the third or fourth year, depending on field). Prospective applicants should keep these guideposts in mind when planning their pre-graduate language training.

Further, the reviewers do look favorably upon evidence on an academic transcript that the applicant is capable of handling foreign language courses. A couple of fields have clearly defined their language prerequisites for entry into the program. For example, applicants hoping to enter the field of Medieval history should already have Latin at the intermediate-level upon entry. Applicants to Ancient Greece or Rome should have Ancient Greek and Latin – at least two years of one of these ancient languages and three years of the other. For more information about the language requirements, see the appropriate field guide(s) in Higher Degrees .

Are there special or additional application requirements for international students?

On what criteria will my history application be reviewed and by whom?

The department considers all components of an applicant file and in general no single metric will make or break a person’s chance of admission. Each history application is first reviewed by at least two history faculty members (usually in the stated field of interest). These “field reviewers” evaluate the applicant's academic degrees and record, statement of purpose, letters of recommendation, foreign language training, test scores (general GRE or TOEFL), writing sample, and the fit between the applicant's goals and the program's degree offerings and faculty research interests. The reviewers select the strongest applicants and recommend names to the admissions committee members, who make the final decision. By the end of the process, applications of those admitted will have been evaluated by at least seven faculty members.

What are the average GPA and test scores of those offered admission?

We offer the following data only because many prospective applicants request it. Remember that these are only averages (not a range) and the averages vary from year to year. Our department receives 325 to 400 applications and selects a class of around 20 students each year. The data for a recent cohort of domestic admits were average GPA of 3.82 undergraduate, 3.93 graduate, and 3.83 in history coursework and average GRE scores of 96% verbal, 71% quantitative, and 5.42 analytical writing on a scale of 1 to 6. We do not set a minimum for GRE scores. The minimum acceptable score on the TOEFL is 570 out of 677 for the paper test and for the new Internet-based test the aggregate minimum is 68 with minimum sub-scores of 18 writing, 17 speaking, 16 listening, and 17 reading. (A score of at least 26 in speaking satisfies the language proficiency requirement for student teaching positions.) The TOEFL scores of our admitted foreign-educated students usually exceed the minimum. A recent cohort of foreign admits averaged 613 (paper test) and 109 (IBT TOEFL test) with sub-scores of 29 writing, 27 speaking, 29 listening, and 24 reading.

Q6: If admitted, when must I register my decision to accept or not?

April 15 is the deadline for admitted students to accept or decline their offers of admission. This deadline is a national deadline for all schools that are a part of the Council of Graduate Schools .

Program Offerings FAQs

Please see Higher Degrees for complete program details.

What graduate degrees do you offer in history?

We only admit applicants committed to obtaining the PhD degree in history. We do not offer a terminal master’s degree; however, students who enter the program without an MA in history can file for the MA while progressing toward the doctorate.

What fields of study does Berkeley offer?

The Berkeley History Department offers fifteen established fields: Africa, Ancient Greece and Rome, Byzantine, Early Modern Europe, East Asia: China, East Asia: Japan, Jewish, Late Modern Europe, Latin America, Medieval, Middle East, North America, Science, South Asia, and Southeast Asia.

Can I pursue a Berkeley history graduate degree part-time, through evening courses, or through distance learning or correspondence?

No. Ours is a full-time program which requires the full-time commitment and presence of our students. We offer no evening or correspondence classes.

If I am not a Berkeley student, can I take just one or two courses at Berkeley?

During the academic year, Berkeley courses are normally not open to individuals not formally matriculated to Berkeley as an undergraduate or graduate student. Individuals not enrolled at Berkeley are permitted to enroll in undergraduate history courses during the Berkeley Summer Session, which is open to the public. No graduate courses are offered during Summer Session (see summer.berkeley.edu). In limited cases it may be possible for a non-Berkeley individual to obtain the permission of a Berkeley faculty member, the Chair, and the Dean to take a regular Berkeley course during the academic year through University Extension's "concurrent enrollment." Be aware, however, that you are considered an Extension student, not a Berkeley student, when enrolled through Concurrent Enrollment and that Concurrent Enrollment is not intended as a means of accumulating credit toward a Berkeley degree by a student who has not been formally admitted to Berkeley. For more information about University Extension, see extension.berkeley.edu .

I am a graduate student attending university in a foreign country. I would like to apply to Berkeley to be a visiting international student for just six months to a year. How do I go about it?

The Global Engagement Office (GEO) oversees the development of bilateral and multilateral exchange agreements that allow for graduate student and faculty exchanges with international partner instructions. The maximum stay is one academic year. Your first step is to find out if your school has a partnership agreement with Berkeley and if you are eligible to apply to your school to be nominated to be an exchange student. Nominated applications will be collected by GEO and then routed to the department where a department committee will decide which applicants can be accommodated. Prospective GEO applicants should refrain from contacting our faculty directly for a promise of sponsorship because only the committee can make the offer of a slot. Students accepted via this route are not registered students (so are not assessed fees) but can usually audit history courses and have access to the libraries.

International visiting students who wish to take full advantage of Berkeley's graduate courses while visiting and who want to enroll in a regular load of courses for credit should apply for "coursework-only" via the Education Abroad Program (EAP). You can find more information about EAP’s reciprocal exchanges at eap.ucop.edu/reciprocalexchanges/Pages/default.aspx. An EAP applicant is nominated by the partner institution and submits applications to both the EAP office as well as directly to the department by the regular deadline for admission (December 1). If accepted by EAP and the department, the student's tuition and registration fees will be paid by the University (as part of the exchange agreement). The EAP student will be expected to register for a regular course load and will begin studies the following fall term for a maximum of one academic year.

Program Practices FAQs

How long does it take to complete the MA/PhD or the PhD program?

The time by which students are expected to complete the PhD program is six or seven years depending on the field in which they entered. Fields with six year time-to-degree (three years to the qualifying exam and three years in doctoral candidacy): Early Modern Europe, Late Modern Europe, Latin America, North America, Science, and Southeast Asia. For fields requiring extensive language training the time-to-degree is seven years (four years to the qualifying exam and three years in doctoral candidacy). The seven year fields are: Africa, Ancient Greece and Rome, Byzantine, East Asia: China, East Asia: Japan, Jewish, Medieval, Middle East, and South Asia. Prospective students should be advised it is not uncommon for students to take longer to file than the prescribed normative time (and it is very rare to file early).

Can I apply credits from my MA program at another institution to the History PhD program at Berkeley?

After you complete one year of coursework toward the PhD here at Berkeley, you may petition to have typically no more than two graduate courses taken elsewhere applied to our PhD course requirements. You should be prepared to produce syllabi, exams, and papers so that equivalency can be established. If approved, the course will not appear on the Berkeley transcript but will be accepted internally toward PhD requirements.

Finances FAQs

How much does a graduate education cost?

Information on Berkeley's tuition and fees can be found on the Registrar's website here. The graduate student budget can be found on the Financial Aid Office's website here .

What financial support is available for history graduate students?

Please see the finances section of the program guide for more detailed information. The guide is updated every summer.

Do I have to file a FAFSA to be eligible for financial aid and graduate fellowships?

Yes. If you wish to be offered a need-based graduate loan, work-study, or low-income parent grant from the University's Financial Aid Office, you should file the FAFSA and have the report sent to Berkeley in March. In addition, if you accept a University or department fellowship you must still file the FAFSA but you have until June to have the FAFSA sent to Berkeley. UC Berkeley’s FAFSA school code is 001312.

Last updated 17 August 2016